Collection of the National Galleries of Scotland.
Studio photography by Kat Borishkewich.
Using their own blood as the main ingredient, Beagles & Ramsay first showed their Black Pudding Self-Portrait in ‘Romantic Detachment‘ at PS1 MoMA Centre for Contemporary Art, New York, from 15th October – 9th November 2004. Cooking performances took place on Saturday 16th October and Saturday 23rd October.
Curated by Grizedale Arts and supported by the Henry Moore Foundation.
The Black Pudding Self-Portrait has also been shown at:
- Body Parts Festival at the Royal Scottish Academy, Edinburgh February 2005
- Solo show at the Trade Apartment, London April – May 2005
- Sympathy for the devil at CAPC Coimbra, Portugal May – June 2005
- Toxic at the Fundacion Oeiras, Lisbon, Portugal June – September 2005
The video documentary went on tour to Chapter, Cardiff, Q Arts, Derby, Spitz Gallery, London, Catalyst Arts, Belfast and the Ship Gallery, London.
- 2 pints of fresh blood – 1 pint of Beagles & 1 pint of Ramsay
- 1 pint of double cream
- 12 oz cooked pearl barley (boiled for twenty minutes)
- 1 lb beef suet
- Intestinal tubes from a pig/cow or large hog casings.
- One or two onions, finely chopped
- 12 oz oats, soaked in water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- Herbs and other spices as desired
- Under strict medical supervision extract 1 pint of blood from John Beagles and 1 pint of blood from Graham Ramsay. Due to legal restrictions the blood must be obtained over a period of several days through multiple syringe extractions. Freeze each batch until required.
- Peel the onions, chop and fry them in the suet. Add the oatmeal and cream and cook for a few minutes. Add the barley, pepper and herbs.
- Now pour in the blood. Stir well and leave to simmer.
- Knot the intestines at one end and fill with the mixture. Finally, gently simmer the puddings for about 20 minutes in a large pan making sure that they do not burst open. To serve, slice into medallions about one third of an inch thick.
- Fry each side for about five minutes.